Friday, January 11, 2008

Good Mechanics

No, that title isn't an oxymoron - at least, not for this post. Yes, I actually had a pleasant experience taking my van for service. The van (a.k.a. "Moby Dick", as it's a big white whale) is getting on in years and needs the occasional bit of tender loving care. Unfortunately, said care can get expensive at times.

Moby was due for an oil change and tire rotation, which I booked for first thing Thursday morning. I got the kiddies off to school, then hopped in Moby and headed for the shop. When I arrived, there was NO lineup at the front desk. The lady at the counter had my reservation on the computer and told me they'd take my van in immediately - they were not running late, and the service bay was empty and waiting for me. Wow! I dropped off the key and gave my (new!) cell phone number to them, then left to walk to the nearby coffee shop.

I had a lovely big cup of hot coffee, tucked in a little corner table with my (of course!) library book (The Bone Vault by Linda Fairstein, review to be done within the week if all goes well), then toddled back to the mechanics despite not getting a cell phone call. Honestly, I expected the phone to ring with the news: "Mrs. CG, it seems you have extensive wear on your brakes/transmission/insert expensive vehicle part here and it really should be replaced." Nope, not this time.

I arrived back at the mechanics to be greeted with "Hello Mrs. CG," - yes, she remembered my name! - "They're just bringing your van down off the hoist. If you'd like to take care of the bill now, your van will be ready for you by the time we're done."
One oil change: usual reasonable charge
Tire rotation: no charge, as the tires were purchased from them in years past.
Extra nasty surprises: NONE!

Holy 10W-40, Batman, you've got to be kidding!

No comments: