Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Friends

I have the best friends anyone could ever wish for.

Last night I got a call from an old and very dear friend I haven't seen in over a year. I was invited out for a drink at a local pub and I accepted. (I don't have the kids this week, so my time is somewhat free.) I was greeted with a big hug, encouraged to vent over the dissolution of my marriage and then expound on the joys of my new full-time job. Alas, the time to part came too soon, but when a girl has to get up and get to work on time, a girl has to go to bed on time too. I was not allowed to pay for my pint of Guinness (although I insisted that the next time will be my treat) and was sent on my way with another hug.

This evening I had just come back into the house after mowing the lawn - the rather overgrown lawn that has been loving the recent rain and that should have been mowed days ago - when the phone rang. It was my neighbour. She was about to step into their backyard hot tub and called to see if I would like to join her. This is the second time she has called with this offer and, like the first time, I couldn't say no. What a glorious evening, sitting in her hot tub with a big glass of ice water, chatting and looking out at all the flowering trees.

I am fortunate indeed.

3 comments:

Kim Ayres said...

Outdoor hot tubs. Never caught on in Scotland. Think it must be something to do with the cold, the wind and the rain...

Saffa Chick said...

You are indeed fortunate! Good friends are hard to find - I'm still struggling to make a truely great one here in Oz.

I'm so glad they are looking after you. And Milord and I love hot tubs, we plan to install one in the new house at some point ;-)

Canadian Girl said...

Kim, outdoor hot tubs can be quite nice in the rain or snow, as long as the wind isn't too fierce. Trust me, if they can be used in Canada, Scotland is possible. If only they weren't so expensive to operate ...

Saffa Chick, good friends are well worth the time it takes to find them. They can turn up in the most surprising places! I imagine the hot tub will be installed after the other renovations are complete and paid for at your new home. How is that going?