Saturday, May 24, 2008

Book Review #5

I literally just finished reading the book A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz less than five minutes ago. It's a difficult book to describe. The back cover calls it "An irreverent comic adventure spanning three continents, about a father and son against each other and against the world."

It is philosophical, intellectual, irreverent, hilarious, and questions many of the ideals society holds dear. This is Australian Steve Toltz's first novel and I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping there are more to come. I shall leave you with a couple of quotes:

"...like most travelers, we had brought our preconceived notions with us on the journey and did not check them, as we should have, into immigration as hazardous materials best suited for quarantine."

and:

"I tried to go to sleep, and when I couldn't go there, I tried to get sleep to come to me. That didn't work either."

No comments: